Daniel R. Stefani
Daniel R. Stefani
Our firm is best equipped to help clients successfully navigate through one of the most stressful and difficult periods in their lives.
Dan Stefani is recognized nationally for his innovation in both litigation and settlement of financial issues pertaining to matrimonial law, particularly those that require detailed analyses of complex transactions and business valuations. His work on behalf of mainly high net worth clients, as well as spouses of high net worth individuals, involves valuations of closely held corporations, partnerships and other entities, child custody and support issues, as well as paternity and domestic violence.
Mr. Stefani is an active member of The Chicago Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the Justinian Society of Lawyers. Since 2010, Mr. Stefani has been selected every year for inclusion in U.S. News & World Report’s prestigious publication, “Best Lawyers in America,” and was named by Chicago Magazine as a “Top Family Law Practitioner.” He was selected by the Leading Lawyers Network and Super Lawyers Network as a top family law practitioner in Illinois. U.S. News' “Best Law Firms” has also continually ranked Katz & Stefani, LLC as a Tier One firm, the highest ranking awarded.
Mr. Stefani has written numerous articles relating to matrimonial law for Chicago Lawyer Magazine, the Family Law Handbook, the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, the ABA Family Law Advocate and other organizations’ publications.
He has lectured extensively on topics including the role of accountants as expert witnesses, business valuations, grandparent visitation rights and the Illinois Supreme Court Rules for proper disclosure of witnesses. He has also taught classes at the Loyola University Chicago School of Law and the IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law.
Prior to launching Katz & Stefani, Mr. Stefani was a partner at Schiller DuCanto and Fleck, as well as Berger Schatz, two of the nation’s largest matrimonial law firms.
- "Can I use my spouse's emails in divorce litigation?", Chicago Lawyer (March 2017)
- "Doing Really Hard Time", Chicago Lawyer (December 2016)
- "Estate Plans Collide with the Dissolution of Marriage Act", Chicago Lawyer (October 2016)
- "How Much Information Do You Share With Your Spouse?", Chicago Lawyer (August 2016)
- "What is Income to Pay Child Support?", Chicago Lawyer (June 2016)
- "Summary Of Certain Nuances In The New Divorce Act", Chicago Lawyer (December 2015)
- "When Does Property Begin To Accumulate When Parties Have Entered Into A Civil Union In Another State?", Chicago Lawyer (October 2015)
- "Are Disability Benefits Considered Retirement Benefits?", Chicago Lawyer (August 2015)
- “Undistributed Income From S Corp Owner – Is It Imputed Income for Setting Child Support?”, Chicago Lawyer (June 2015)
- “Eavesdropping in Illinois Is Again A Crime”, Chicago Lawyer (April 2015)
- “Mutual vs. Correlative Separate Orders of Protection”, Chicago Lawyer (February 2015)
- “The Divorce Court’s Control of Parental Conduct”, Chicago Lawyer (October 2014)
- “Disability Benefits – Marital Property or Income?”, Chicago Lawyer (August 2014)
- “Mediation of Financial Issues in Divorce”, Chicago Lawyer (June 2014)
- “Who Gets the Pre-Embryo”, Chicago Lawyer (April 2014)
- “Same Sex Marriage in Illinois Becomes Law”, Chicago Lawyer (February 2014)
- "Amendments to Illinois Supreme Court Rules", Chicago Lawyer (Sep 2013)
- “Be Careful Who You Talk To”, Chicago Lawyer (July 2013)
- "Disgorgement of Attorney Fees," Chicago Lawyer (November 2012)
- "Substitution of Judge for Cause," Chicago Lawyer (December 2011)
- "Setting of a Support Obligation," Chicago Lawyer (June 2011)
- “New Illinois Rules of Evidence,” Chicago Lawyer (February 2010)
- “Implications of Bifurcated Dissolution of Marriage Proceedings,” Chicago Lawyer (September 2010)
- “New Amendments to Fee Statute,” Chicago Lawyer (May 2010)
- “Collecting Support and Arrearages,” Chicago Lawyer (September 2009)
- "When to Value Assets in Divorce," Chicago Lawyer (June 2009)
- “Abatement of Support,” Chicago Lawyer (March 2008)
- “Rewriting the Divorce Act,” Chicago Lawyer (November 2008)
- “Advice for Non-divorce Lawyers,” Chicago Lawyer (September 2008)
- “Stock Options and Other Employee Benefits,” Family Law Handbook, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (2006)
- “Effective Use of Discovery and Other Procedural Techniques,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (2003)
- “Discovering Unique Forms of Employee Benefits,” ABA Family Law Advocate (2001)
- “New Law Regarding Modification of Visitation Rights,” Illinois State Bar Association Family Law Newsletter (2000)
- “Use of Requests to Admit, Bills of Particular and Authentication of Corporate Records,” The Chicago Bar Association (2000)
- “Cohabitation Agreements,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (1999)
- “Accountants as Expert Witnesses in Valuation of Corporations,” Illinois Academy of Certified Public Accountants (1997)